The Student Assistance Program is a voluntary, confidential counseling program. The following support services are offered to students who are at risk for developing substance use problems:
- Individual and group counseling for at risk students
- Comprehensive assessment, including screening for alcohol and other drug problems
- Short term group and/or family intervention designed to motivate the student to change behavior or seek further help from an outside agency or private therapist
- Information and referral to treatment agencies and private therapists when indicated
- Relapse prevention support for students who are leaving treatment and returning to school
Referrals to the student assistance program may come from concerned friends, family, teachers, guidance counselors and administrators.
Students found to be in violation of Barrington High School's substance use policy must meet with the Student Assistance Counselor for a minimum of 3 sessions.
The Student Assistance Program offers the following groups for students. Students attend group once a week during the school day.
- New Students Group - For students who are new to the school district
- Alateen - For students whose lives are affected by a family member or friend who is addicted to drugs or alcohol. This is a nationally sponsored twelve step program
- At Risk Students Group - For students who are going through a difficult time which puts them at increased risk for developing a substance use problem (divorce, mental health issues, truancy, etc.).
Throughout the year other groups are held on an as needed and time limited basis:
- Smoking cessation program
- Substance user's group
Alcohol & Drug Dependence Screening Tools:
- For health risk behavior: RI Youth Health Risk Behavior Survey Data
- For dating violence: Lindsay Ann Burke Memorial Fund; Katie Brown Education Program; Love is Not Abuse (info, brochures, handbooks)
- For substance abuse: National Institute on Drug Abuse for Teens; Partnership for a Drug Free America
- Buzzed by Cynthia Kuhn, Scott Swartzwelder and Wilkie Wilson - The straight facts about the most used and abused drugs from alcohol to ecstasy
- Queen Bees & Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman - Helping your daughter survive cliques, gossip, boyfriends and other realities of adolescence
- The Grieving Teen by Helen Fitzgerald - A guide for teenagers and their friends
- The Pressured Child by Michael Thompson - Freeing our kids from performance overdrive
- Beautiful Boy by David Sheff - A father's journey through his son's addiction
Barrington Police Tipline 437-3933
This is a confidential phone line to report information about underage drinking, drinking parties or illegal drug activities. You do not have to leave your name.
BE A FRIEND, SAVE A FRIEND